[Ekiga-list] Receiving SIP RTP before media description [was ekiga answers with delay ...?]

Craig Southeren craigs at postincrement.com
Mon Nov 27 09:50:04 UTC 2006

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 10:42:01 +0100
Damien Sandras <dsandras at seconix.com> wrote:

..deleted

> Well, let's forget about that and summarize the results of that
> discussion. There are actually right now 2 problems in OPAL :
>
> 1: Establishing the media streams after having sent or received the ACK
> takes between 1 or 2 seconds during which the media stream is lost.

This seems to be only a problem on Linux. I'm not seeing this problem on
Windows.

What is OPAL during the 1 or 2 seconds? Is this how long it takes to
open the sound device on Linux? I'll need more information before I can
work out how to fix the problem

> 2: If OPAL sends an INVITE with 3 codecs in a given order, and that
> Asterisk supports the 3 same codecs but with a different priority order,
> it will send the 200 OK with those 3 codecs in the order it prefers.
> OPAL will then choose the codec it prefers and send the media with that
> codec. It could happen that Asterisk uses another codec from the list,
> ie a codec for which OPAL is not ready to receive a stream.
>
> e.g. :
> INVITE PCMU, iLBC, PCMA
> 200 OK iLBC, PCMA, PCMU
>
> OPAL will send the stream using iLBC.
> Asterisk could decide to send the stream using PCMU.
> However OPAL expects iLBC...

Replying to an INVITE with more than one codec has a very specific
meaning, and OPAL does not support these semantics. Fortunately, very
few devices seem to do this.

   Craig

 Craig Southeren          Post Increment – VoIP Consulting and Software
 craigs at postincrement.com.au                   www.postincrement.com.au

 Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
 Fax:    +61 243656905      MSN: craig_southeren at hotmail.com
 Mobile: +61 417231046      Jabber: craigs at jabber.org

 "It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile.
  Be yourself, no matter what they say."   Sting