[Ekiga-list] Receiving SIP RTP before media description [was ekiga answers with delay ...?]

Craig Southeren craigs at postincrement.com
Sun Nov 26 23:15:29 UTC 2006

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 00:01:28 +0100
"Bent Bagger" <bbagger at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have uploaded the trace to Savefile.com
>
> http://www.savefile.com/files/293084

Thank you for taking the time to do this, because hopefully we can now
move on to solving the actual problem rather than continuing the rather
ridiculous discussion about how to guess the contents of an RTP packet :)

The log file you provided shows the following:

0.0513  Send INVITE
0.0555  Receive 100 Trying
0.0571  Receive 200 OK
0.0603  Send ACK
0.0619  Receive first G.711 RTP packet
2.7807  Receive first H.261 RTP packet

This obviously shows that Asterisk waits until receiving the ACK before
send RTP. I'd be curious to know if Asterisk supports early media via
183 Session Progress - if that is enabled we should see media after the
183 but before the 200.

Back to the problem at hand...

My guess is that OPAL/Ekiga is not playing the audio until the first
H.261 packet is received. I can't think why this would be happening -
I'll need a level 4 trace log from OPAL before I can determine why this
would be happening.

BTW: does simpleopal do the same thing?

   Craig

 Craig Southeren          Post Increment – VoIP Consulting and Software
 craigs at postincrement.com.au                   www.postincrement.com.au

 Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
 Fax:    +61 243656905      MSN: craig_southeren at hotmail.com
 Mobile: +61 417231046      Jabber: craigs at jabber.org

 "It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile.
  Be yourself, no matter what they say."   Sting