[Ekiga-list] Hi Damien And The Group

Damien Sandras dsandras at seconix.com
Mon Nov 13 15:39:28 UTC 2006

Le lundi 13 novembre 2006 à 03:07 -0800, George Boyd a écrit :
> As a follow up to this last post. Fedora came out with a yum update that
> included another kernel. After installing the updates, I discovered that
> Ekiga is even running better then before the last post.
>
> I was able to make a land line call to Indonesia from the US with the
> jitter buffer at 20%, the lowest default. The call was crystal clear and
> the jitter buffer stayed between 20 - 30 with no distortion. Another
> thing that changed is the lag and echo I used to get during voice
> conversations, that cleared up too.

That's an excellent news for you! (and for others using Fedora).

> Damien, as you said, that is a weird as a behavior, but the results
> speak for themselves. I duplicated the results by calling from the US to
> other land line numbers in the US with the same excellent results. Then
> tried another overseas call and again, perfect.

Excellent.

> You're the expert, and these have been the results. You probably
> understand and can make sense out of this much more then I can. I'm just
> very happy that Ekiga is working so well now.

I would say that overseas calls depend on the network quality, but also
on the quality of the audio drivers. Probably the default setup on
Fedora has been improved with a direct impact on Ekiga's quality.

Again, that is just a proof the problem was external to Ekiga.

> By the way, I downloaded and installed the Ekiga 2.03 and I'm not really
> sure where you all are going with the interface, but I really do like
> the interface for 2.02 much better. It's cleaner and easier to us.

I don't understand what you mean by that because the user interface has
not changed between 2.0.2 and 2.0.3.  We have only made changes in CVS
HEAD with a new interface with a contacts list.