[Ekiga-list] Video With Ekiga 2.02

Stephan Bourgeois strangelv at lycos.co.uk
Wed Aug 16 17:12:54 UTC 2006

> * Fedora Core 5 with the latest kernel (although this problem has
> occurred with every kernel)
> * Logiteck 4000 usb camera
> * pwc camera driver
> * ekiga 2.02
>
> I can use camstream to set up my camera and it gives a beautiful
> picture. Then when I bring up ekiga the picture is ok, but degraded. If
> I use any of the video controls in ekiga, the picture almost completely
> washes out and looks terrible. I can then go back into camstream and
> reset it fine.
>
> Does anyone know why in ekiga, this problem is happening?

AFAIK, when you are using the pwc driver, the "brightness" and "contrast" settings in ekiga will only give you a limited amount of control. I am using setpwc http://www.vanheusden.com/setpwc/ to control the camera parameters. Beware that setpwc won't work if ekiga is using the camera. You have to play with the "video" switch in ekiga to 1. switch off the camera, 2. use setpwc, 3. switch the camera on in ekiga to see if your new seetings are better. It is a tedious process, but you can memorise the parameters, and , with certain cameras, save them in the camera.

I hope this helps. Btw, I am using a Philips Toucam Pro II.
Stephan.