[Ekiga-list] Bad video quality / bandwidth

Asfand Yar Qazi ayqazi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 14:45:36 UTC 2006

On 8/8/06, Asfand Yar Qazi <ayqazi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/8/06, Damien Sandras <dsandras at seconix.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > If you are calling 500 at ekiga.net and trying to upload at 100kb/s, it is
> > normal it gives bad quality if your network connection doesn't support
> > it.
>
> As I said, the network should support it - I'm typing in my office in
> the Docklands, London (i.e. almost right next to the internet
> exchange).
>

> > Also, the echo test is probably not the best way to mesure the video
> > quality, better try in real circumstances between 2 Ekiga instances.
> >

> OK, will try it between 2 clients and get back with updated
> impressions.  Thanks.

On getting a reply from my supervisor, it appears that the quality
between two ekiga clients isn't satisfactory either.  We're trying to
do video conferencing just to let you know, and we have pretty large
screens on both sides - that's why he thinks the video quality is so
bad - it's all blocky.

The web cam supports 640x480, and the supervisor wants that at least -
he's planning on getting higher video cameras to increase the
resolution when this setup proves that video conferencing works.  Is
there a way to do increase the resolution/bandwidth, we don't have to
use SIP is that's what's restricting the quality.

Another thing:  why does ekiga limit the video bandwidth to 100Kb/s?
I'd like it increased to 1MB/s is possible - the network between our
offices supports that.

Thanks