[Ekiga-list] Ekiga & (k)iax ?

Stephen Cook siti at orcon.net.nz
Fri Aug 4 21:57:09 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 11:42 +0200, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le vendredi 04 août 2006 à 21:16 +1200, Adam Bogacki a écrit :
> > Welcome back Damien !
> >

> Thanks!
>
> > 	When (roughly) do you expect Ekiga will add iax ?
> >

> I don't know. One Google SoC student is working on it, so it could be
> fast (September). However, if the student doesn't finish the work, I do
> not think I will have the time to do it myself before a few years. Too
> few spare time, too few coders...
>
> > 	Kiax is starting to look attractive and be widely
> > used among alternative media communities, requiring only one UDP
> > port per endpoint to create a successful communication channel.
> > This makes it friendlier for users behind NAT than SIP and H.323
> > .. and it's simple.

I am the student working on this, and I have iax2 working with ekiga.

It is usable apart from one aspect, the receiving sound packets are
really laggy.  To fix this I am implementing a jitter buffer so packets
so obey the jitter rules set by the user.  It should be finished by
today.

The problem was that voice packets were being buffered at the start and
were not being played.  If I managed to get enough programs running to
make the sound skip then the lag would increase even more!

I really hope by the time this weekend is finished I can send some
patches both to the Opal iax2 guy (Derek), and to Damien.

After these patches are accepted, I'll need to work on transfer support
which might be quite difficult, but I should be able to do it :).