[Ekiga-list] Ekiga does not hang up properly

Hannes Ebner dev at stdout.at
Fri Aug 4 11:17:59 UTC 2006

Damien Sandras wrote:
>>I am running Ekiga 2.0.2 on Debian Sarge.
>>>From time to time I experience the problem that I hang up and I just
>>hear one short beep (instead of three) and then the call status of Ekiga
>>freezes. I can push the button as often as I want, Ekiga does not hang
>>up. Another side effect is that I cannot receive calls anymore and I
>>have to kill Ekiga, a normal exit does not work.
>
> Sounds like an ALSA issue.

I don't think so, I never had problems with Sarge's ALSA. AFAIK the one
in Etch is broken (still).

>>It does not happen so often, but this time I was lucky and could
>>reproduce the problem when I had a "-d 4" running, I will send it to
>>Damien per PM. You can see the hang-up at the end, with a few calls in
>>between.
>
> Nothing wrong in that -d 4 output unfortunately.

Did you see the last lines?

[...]
2006/08/04 10:40:43.784   8:24.859                        ekiga Call
Clearing Call[3] reason=EndedByLocalUser
2006/08/04 10:40:49.311   8:30.386                        ekiga Call
Clearing Call[3] reason=EndedByLocalUser
2006/08/04 10:40:53.446   8:34.521                        ekiga Call
Clearing Call[3] reason=EndedByLocalUser
2006/08/04 10:41:03.212   8:44.288                        ekiga Call
Clearing Call[3] reason=EndedByLocalUser
2006/08/04 10:42:21.335  10:02.411                        ekiga Call
Clearing Call[3] reason=EndedByLocalUser

Nothing happens after my call clearing attempts.

> Would it be possible when it happens to do this :
> ps ax | grep ekiga (try to see the pid)
> gdb attach pid
> thread apply all bt
> and mail us the bt.

I'm using the precompiled packages, I couldn't find a package with
debugging symbols. I don't know whether I will have time to build it on
my own soon...

What happened to the CVS snapshots by the way?

>>Right now I'm also investigating another problem. I am able to make
>>active calls all the time, but when somebody tries to call me I have to
>>be lucky in order to receive it. The caller does not hear anything, no
>>ring, nothing. I don't see an incoming call either - I'm trying right
>>now to catch this with a "-d 4" as well. It is a bit mysterious, because
>>I didn't change my system configuration.
>
> The -d 4 won't help. The problem is on the other side. Notice that the
> ring is generated by the remote, not by the called party. Finally, it
> could also be due to some NAT issue (the binding expires).

I changed the port numbers from 506x to 526x, perhaps this caused the
problem... I try to change it back. A NAT problem is not possible, I'm
directly connected to the backbone.

By the way, pretty OT: In order to add IPv6 support to OPAL, would it be
necessary to change anything on SIP level or would it be enough to adapt
the networking part (sockets etc.)? I thought of doing this in case I
have some time left...

Best regards,
Hannes