Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] metadata reading breakage with gst-plugins from CVS

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 07:04:13PM +1000, Jan Schmidt wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 22:03 +1000, Jonathan Matthew wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A recent change to the audioscale element in gst-plugins broke rhythmbox
> > metadata reading for various file types.  There's a bandaid fix in my
> > rhythmbox--playbin--0.9 branch (patch-3), but it sort of looks like it
> > might be a gstreamer bug, or at least something better fixed there,
> > so I'll keep looking.
> >

> Is this a GStreamer bug? Do we have a bug report for it?

I haven't really come to any conclusions either way, and I haven't filed
a bug report about it.  Since I rewrote the metadata reading code to use
decodebin, it's not really an issue for 0.9.

I haven't really had all that much to do with GStreamer, so forgive me
if I misuse terms here.  The pipeline looked like this:

  gnomevfssrc ! typefind ! spider ! audio/x-raw-int ! fakesink

and prior to the change, audioscale only handled audio/x-raw-int, so
when decoding ogg vorbis, the spider had to use audioconvert to get
audio/x-raw-int to link with the fakesink.

After the change, it was trying to do that conversion using audioscale,
because it looked like its would accept audio/x-raw-float and produce
audio/x-raw-int.  Obviously it wouldn't, because it's audioscale, not
audioconvert, so the pipeline would fail.

gst_autoplug_sp finds two possible elements to connect the vorbisdec it
creates to the fakesink - audioscale and audioconvert.  It finds
audioscale first for some reason, so that's what it uses.

I don't think there really is a solution, except maybe reverting the
change to audioscale - it obviously wasn't that important to anyone
before (it's not terribly important to me, and I'm the one who proposed
it), and it's probably going to cause more harm than good.

-jonathan