Re: Request for comment (accessibility team): release date for GNOME 3.0

Hi Vincent,

I can't speak for other accessibility projects but I can give you a
summary from the On-screen Keyboard point of view. The On-screen
Keyboard effort currently consists of two projects: GOK [1] and Caribou [2].

For GOK, we are working on removing dependencies on deprecated libraries
for the March 2010 release of GNOME. We are not, however, planning to
move GOK over to the new DBus based atspi so GOK will only work if
distros decide to ship the CORBA based atspi - I believe Will Walker is
working on allowing both versions to be installed at the same time. I
will let Will talk about this in more detail.

Caribou is currently being developed as an alternative to GOK for GNOME
3. We are targeting the September 2010 release of GNOME for our first
release.

Cheers, Ben

[1] http://www.gok.ca
[2] http://live.gnome.org/Caribou