[bug #3836] As Root, upon Exit, MC chmods /dev/null 600 !

Follow-up Comment #5, bug #3836 (project mc):

Some time ago dpkg had a bug: when it removed a package that contained a
symlink to /dev/null, it chmod'ed /dev/null to 000. The problem was that it
did a chmod() instead of lchmod(), or stat() instead of lstat() or something
like that on the file to be removed.

Obviously if mc changed /dev/null to 600 for everyone, we would all know
about it and it would be already fixed. On the other hand I have no reason to
doubt the reporter.

So I guess that the bug might be that mc (or maybe its wrapper script)
chmod's something to 600, and this something (a temp file maybe) happens to
be a symlink to /dev/null on the reporter's system due to some special setup
or env var or special wrapper script or something like that...

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?3836>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/