Re: Raghindi Font and Xft

Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> writes:

> Eric Mader <mader jtcsv com> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm trying to test my Indic OT code with the Raghindi font (raghu.ttf)
> > and for some reason, xftcache doesn't seem to recognize the font. (it
> > does see all the other .ttf files in the directory)
> >
> > Anybody have any idea what the problem is or know of a work-around?
>
> I think this font is buggy in some way that Windows manages to deal
> with ... both FreeType and the 'fonttools' ttdump refuse to load it.
>
> Looking briefly at the fonttools error, it seems that there is something
> wrong with the 'kern' table.

I spent a little more time looking at it, and the problem is simply
that Raghindi includes a 0 length 'kern' table, which is presumably
supposed to be ignored.

When I modified fonttools to skip 0-length tables, then dumped and
recompiled the font, the result was read correctly by FreeType and
worked well with the indic-xft shaper.

I've CC'ed Prof. R.K. Joshi on this email ... perhaps it would be
possible for him to produce a version of raghu.ttf without the
0-length table?

If not, the alternative would be to get FreeType changed to treat
0-length tables the same as missing tables.