[gdm-list] Plans for guest account?

Hi all,

I am currently thinking about how to design a sane "guest session"
feature in Ubuntu. I took some notes on [1] about the requirements,
but the interesting ones relevant here are:

 * The guest login should not have a password. Otherwise it needs to
   be a well-known one which people would just put on a sticky note on
   their monitor.

 * You should not be able to boot a machine and start a guest account
   without any further authentication, since that would make it too
   easy to capture a machine and abusing it for bad things [2].

Thus ideally you wouldn't see it on the main gdm login screen, but you
can start the guest session from fast-user-switch-applet or the
logout/switch user dialog.

gdm 2.22.0 has some preliminary infrastructure for that
(gdm_user_chooser_widget_set_show_guest_user()), but it's disabled
right now. However, that seems to show that you (as in "upstream")
have an interest in working on this as well, so maybe we can attack
this together?

What are your current plans for supporting a guest account, and in
particular, which requirements do you have? Are they similar to the
ones from above?

I'd like to use gdm, because it already cares about all the gory
details like creating .Xauthority cookies, finding a free $DISPLAY,
starting the X server, registering a ConsoleKit session, starting the
session, and killing the X server when the session ends. None of those
are particularly hard to replicate (some lines of shell/python/c which
starts the server with the guest session, wrapped as a system D-BUS
service, and access-controlled with a "local foreground session only"
PolicyKit privilege). But if gdm wants/will get that feature anyway,
I'd like to avoid reinventing half of the wheel for that.

Thanks in advance!

Martin

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Specs/Intrepid/GuestAccount

[2] Of course the guest account will be locked down with
    SELinux/AppArmor/reduced PolicyKit privileges, but that's still
    useful for doing network attacks, etc. Locking down the network
    would make a guest account pretty useless.