Re: PayPal set-up

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Kim Schulz wrote:

> On 23 Jan 2002 19:50:40 -0500
> Tim Ney <ten gnome org> wrote:
> >
> > In order to make PayPal active, there is some html (a button) on
> > their site that needs to be placed on the guadec.org - at this point
> > there are three possible payment transactions that I can think of:
> > -1- Sale of G3t-shirts, other merchandise
> > -2- Acceptance of "Friends of GNOME" donations
> > -3- Tuition for tutorials
> >
> > Video streaming would probably use its own payment system.
> >
> > Will you be the one to load the PayPal?  For this I will need to
> > call or fax you the ID and password for GNOME's account.
> >
> > It would also be useful if you and Kim can look at some of the
> > other non-profit uses of PayPal and think about ways the transaction
> > log from PayPal can be imported autmatically to a spreadsheet or
> > MySQL. They collect a range of data on each user and transaction.
> >
> > http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_shop-cat-ext&loc=40702

> I will be able to look at this after Friday (preferably after Sunday)
> because I have a Project running until there. Have you heard anything
> from the streaming guys? they promised us a testing site last weeks or
> so? is that one up? Maybe I should contact them again to hear whats
> taking them so long ( I know that they have other big priorities but
> they told me that they would put everything into this project to make
> it work (because it's so good advertising for them). And yes they have
> their own payment system.

I haven't heard anything from the streamers and I don't think Amy has
either.  The homepage is just about finished, so we ought to figure
where this would go.

> How is it going to be with merchandise this year? Last year every
> attendant to the conference got a t-shirt, a cloth bag (dunno what it
> is called in English) and posters. Is something like this going to be
> there this year?

The first priority is to obtain sponsorship for travel subsidy.  USENIX
has already said, "No" and they were the largest contributor last year.
Of course, we can mention it to the GF Advisory member companies, if
they want to also do these things. This is a tougher year than the first
two financially as so many companies have cut back.

> Im pretty sure that we have a couple of leftovers of
> the T-shirts from G2 laying around in the conference center basement.
> Could these be sold? as collectables maybe? should I bring these or
> should we just give them away at the local LUG meetings in Copenhagen,
> Denmark (where I live)?

We could offer them on the site store for pick-up in Seville.  If you
find these things, let us know how many there are....

> Well if Jaime or one of the others contact me by mail after Friday
> about the paypal stuff then I sure will help figuring out how to
> import data etc.

Ok.  Thanks.  Once we get it set-up for payments, we can run a test log
and see the sequence of data fields.

tim

HOW TO SELL WITH PAYPAL

Selling on Websites - PayPal's Web Accept tool allows you to accept
payments directly on your website. Look for a demo of Web Accept under
the "Sell" tab.