Minutes of the GNOME Board meeting November 13 2001

	  Minutes of the GNOME Board meeting November 13 2001

Presents:
=========

    Havoc Pennington (chairing)
    Daniel Veillard  (minutes)
    Jim Gettys
    Maciej Stachowiak
    Tim Ney           (director)
    Owen Taylor
    Miguel de Icaza
    Federico          (from :25)
    John Heard        (from :30)

    Leslie            (from :30, invited to discuss the PR plans)

Regrets:
========
    Bart Decrem
    Dan Mueth

Missing:
========
    Raph Levien

Decisions:
==========

   - Begin to to work on the Trademark registration for "GNOME" and the foot
   - The board suggest the release team start being stubborn and strong against
     API change requests.

Action Done:
============

  ACTION: Havoc to redirect gnome-press-contact to Leslie
     => Done, and added Tim

Actions:
========

  ACTION: Tim to get the membership logos on the foundation page
     => in progress, it can get a bit bureaucratic

  ACTION: Tim, John and Havoc to get a draft statement on the relation
          with the free software and license policy.
     => in progress

New Actions:
============

  ACTION: Tim to work on the Trademark registration for "GNOME" and the foot.

===========

 - approve last meeting minutes:
   http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2001-November/msg00000.html

 - Discussing the topic to discuss with a representative from HP
   We met informally on the phone with him to discuss HP/Gnome
   relationship like we did 2 weeks ago with a Sun representative
     - printing and fonts

 - Discuss issue of Tim's candidacy, make sure everyone is OK with
   however we are proceeding
   Director and CEO usually serve on the Board of Director as Maciej posted,
   this is common practice.
   If the board were to change from decisions by consensus to decisions by
   vote, then Tim would get a vote, if elected as a board member.  He
   wouldn't vote in the case of a conflict of interest.

 - Report on ALS
   Linux Terminal Servers, there is specific problems, Havoc sent an
   email to gnome-hacker
   Accessibility was tested and demonstrated
   GStreamer presentation was looking like that it's coming along nicely
   which is great because we were poor in that regard in comparison to other
   recent desktops. The Xine player was impressive too.
   Leslie gathered a lots of contacts and informations,
   it also proved that the "Friends of GNOME" program really got a
   lot of support.

 - Update on elections
   Check gnome-announces, they are delayed by a week, but it's fine.

 - Update on incorporation
   Going forward we have 3 attorneys working on current legal matters.
   We would have to do a Trademark search, then register it.
   Seems we have to do that since we have the resources now.
   => approval of that process

 - Update on GNOME 2
   The second platform alpha shipped, it is API frozen now but
   this could be discussed directly with the release Team for accessibility
   only purposes.
   The board suggest the release team start being stubborn and strong against
   API change requests.
   The window manager is a problem, sawfish is the main option but we are
   not sure when it will get ported.

 - Discuss Leslie's Proctors PR plans:
   The Marketing Working Group is meeting every 2 weeks
   Building a month by month task list
   Trying to build "global partners" who can disseminate informations
   Cross-platform capability is one key PR point
   Building a budget for marketing, and asking member companies for help

Daniel