Re: Running more than one instance of Evince

Hello

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 01:47:04PM +0200, Federico Fanton wrote:
> I have a wxPython application and I'm using Evince to display the
> reports it generates. Since I'd like to delete every report after the
> user has closed the corresponding Evince instance, my application uses a
> thread that does a subprocess.call() to invoke Evince, and then removes
> the report when the subprocess terminates.
> This works fine as long as the user looks at just one report at a time,
> because if he opens one report and then another (without closing the
> previous one) the previous Evince instance gets "recycled" to show the
> new report, so subprocess.call() returns immediately and the file gets
> deleted too soon.
> Is there a way to force Evince to use a new instance every time?

I have a patch that allows you to do this, but it was rejected (I was
told my use case for it is against the design choices of gnome and that
there is some problem with metadata. When I asked about what metadata
are there at all, while viewing a pdf file, I got no response).

Or you can compile evince without dbus support, but then it won't
„recycle“ the sessions even if it could.

If you want it, ask for it off-list, so I do not send large mails.

I wish you a nice day.

--
This is a terroristic email. It will explode in 10 minutes,
if you do not close it in the meantime.

Michal 'vorner' Vaner