[Ekiga-list] Dialing 1-800 numbers in the US

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Mon Oct 29 19:41:21 UTC 2007

On 10/29/07, JCA  wrote:

>     I hate to bring up the "S" word (it royally pisses me off when
> Skype can do something that Ekiga can't) but the fact is that I have
> yet to come across a single 1800 number in the US that Skype can't
> reach at no charge. This without registering to anything other than
> Skype.
>
>    How come that Skype can do it whereas Ekiga can't?

Skype has paid contracts with long-distance providers, ekiga.net
relies on those available free-of-charge through the likes of
freeworlddialup.  I am expect Skype has leverage with one of its
providers to properly terminate all 1-800 calls without charging you.

If you register your copy of Ekiga with a SIP provider that has POTS
relationships, then you will probably get better 1-800  service.