[Ekiga-list] call recording / ekiga too tightly on ALSA?

Mario Rossi mariofutire at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 14 20:52:10 UTC 2006

I've found a way to use the pcm.tee device in alsa to record the local
sound produced by Ekiga.

Here is my .asoundrc

pcm.hardware {
             type hw
             card 0
             device 0
}

pcm.!default {
             type plug
             slave {
                   pcm "tee:hardware,/home/mario/a.raw"
             }
}

then in Ekiga one should choose the "default" audio device.
The file generated will be in raw format, S16_LE, 2 channels with a
rate depending on the application you are using (Ekiga does 8000)

To note that if I write pcm "tee:default...." it does not work. I
think it could be related to the dmix bug, since the default would be
dmix. In this case, Ekiga, mplayer and xmms do not work properly,
while aplay does. I'll try again when I will have updated my system to
alsa 1.0.12.

One question: how can I specify in Ekiga an audio device which is not
"default" or "the name of the card"?
I would like to call this device

pcm.file_raw {
}

but then I cannot tell Ekiga to use it, while I can just write

aplay -D file_raw .........

Thanks

mario