[Ekiga-list] Ekiga 2.0.3 interface binding

Konrad Karl kk_konrad at gmx.at
Wed Oct 4 09:36:29 UTC 2006

Hello Craig,

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 10:30:32AM +1000, Craig Southeren wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 13:17:15 +0200
> Konrad Karl <kk_konrad at gmx.at> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Ekiga does not recognize new network interfaces, e.g.
> > TUN adapters from OpenVPN so I have to shutdown and
> > restart whenever I want to make a call thru the VPN.
> > (did not check with 2.0.2 because I now have a working
> > 2.0.3 on current Fedora Rawhide)
> >
> > Should not there be also an option to bind to
> > all network interfaces?
>
> ..deleted
>
> It's not that simple.
>
> Implementation of SIP requires that you know the address of each
> specific network interface being used. Binding to INADDR_ANY doesn't
> work.

... I deliberately did not tell about INADDR_ANY so - being
not a native english speaker - I should perhaps have used the
words 'each network interfaces'.

My situation is as follows:

home network: 192.168.x.y on eth0
  and sometimes
openvpn       10.x.y.z    on tun0 or whatever

so whenever openvpn is running the machine is multi-homed and
I have to restart ekiga to select 10.x.y.z and if I want to
call somebody at 192.68.x.y then I have to change it again...

For the moment I can perfectly live with this - this is more or less
a private test seetup but I am feeling that binding to multiple
interfaces will be of benefit for more users than me.

Best greetings,
Konrad