[Ekiga-list] receiver complains doesn't hear me much

ael law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com
Sat Dec 30 15:08:04 UTC 2006

> Le samedi 30 décembre 2006 à 12:14 +0000, Fabrizio Lippolis a écrit :

>>The receiver complains often doesn't hear me much though I have raised the
>>microphone slider in the audio tab in Ekiga and in the volume settings in
>>Gnome. I have to talk with the microphone on my mouth and loud voice to be
>>at least accettable.

[..snip..]
> Also, you should open a sound mixer (the GNOME one or another one) and
> check if you have "Mic Boost" enabled.

And in addition to what Damien says, if you are using alsa, it would be
a good idea to use amixer (and then alsamixer) to examine the controls
beyond just "Mic boost" on your sound card. These are often highly non
intuitive: I gather that alsa just reads firmware labels from the
hardware and uses those names which are often bizarre. You may need to
experiment a good deal to find out what does what. I had just the sort
of problem that you are describing on more than one machine with
different models of sound cards: in each case exploration of the sound
card controls as above solved the problem. Don't overlook the "capture"
controls.

A Lawrence