[Ekiga-list] Suggestion: a front end hook for ekiga

ael law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com
Sat Dec 23 16:16:14 UTC 2006

Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le vendredi 22 décembre 2006 à 23:43 +0000, ael a écrit :
>
>>My sound card is rather complex as viewed by ALSA. To use ekiga, I need
>>to launch alsamixer or one of its variants and set at least 4 different
>>controls which are not very memorable.
>>
>>Instead I have used alsactl to store the configuration in a special
>>"ekiga-alsa.cfg" file. Then I can use
>>alsactl -f /path/ekiga-alsa.cfg restore ; ekiga &
>>
>>In fact, I just wrap that up as a tiny little bash script called
>>ekiga_go. I would probably forget that path = /usr/local/etc/ otherwise :-)
>>
>>This is probably re-inventing the wheel, but should ekiga have a
>>facility to run a custom sound set-up script at start up? Or have I
>>missed the documentation?
>

> The real question is : why do you have to do that? Mixer settings should
> be remembered accross reboots, and should not be changed while you are
> logged.

1) I don't want a microphone active when I am not using it. Also
possible security issues there.

2) I find that I need to adjust PCM, FM and master volume levels among
others to suit various applications. Some are otherwise just too quiet,
others deafen me.

3) Capture selection/setting also needs adjusting for various
applications. When I install ekiga on a new machine, I often think the
microphone is not working until I remember that it must be in Capture
mode for ekiga. I have been caught by that several times :-)

4) If I start ekiga with my default mixer setting ekiga does not work:
no microphone input, and very quiet output.

So I find that I freqently need to adjust mixer settings depending on
which application I am running. mplayer, realplayer [spit], aplay,
timidity, aplaymidi, ekiga and so on...

A E Lawrence