Re: GNOME 3.0 Blocker Report for week 01

On Wed, 2011-01-05 at 13:58 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 2:10 PM, Piñeiro <apinheiro igalia com> wrote:
> > =
> >
> > "Migrate from PyGTK to PyGObject introspection-based bindings"
> > "Port to GSettings"
> >
> > I had the feeling, probably wrong, that both objetives were "good to
> > be", or "we would like that all the modules fulfill this", in summary
> > something that "...could definitely help with our work in integration
> > and consistency" (from here [1]).
>
> 100% agreed here; these goals have effectively 0 user experience
> impact, and we don't want to prioritize them over things that matter
> like gnome-shell, control center, gtk3.
> The intersection for pygtk migration does come into play where the
> module should be gtk3, which obviously does impact the UX (I'm
> doubtful we'll have 100% theming consistency for example).

Well, the problem here is that applications that tried to be good gnome
citizens and switched early to gtk3 and to gobject-introspection are now
stuck in the middle of the road, blocked by problems in pygobject and in
g-i. Hopefully part of the problems will be solved in the upcoming
pygobject hackfest, but I really hope that addressing these problems is
considered a high priority task in the gnome3 todo list.

Ciao
	Paolo