Nautilus and Gnome should only show devices that the user has permission to use.

On a multistation/multiseat system, users on each station can have their
own USB flash drives, USB floppy drives, etc. Nautilus currently displays
icons for all of these devices on all desktops. Access permissions for
these devices may one day be controlled by ConsoleKit, but for the time
being, on Userful's multistation systems it is currently controlled by our
various custom scripts.

What we would like is a way to ensure that the user can only see devices
that they have permission to use. (There are scenarios where users may
need to see all devices, so the solution must be configurable.) In the
past we have modified nautilus, libgnomeui, and gnome-vfs to read our
custom configuration files. What we are looking for is a more elegant
solution that can be merged in upstream that would be useful for other
multistation projects. Does Gnome currently have some functionality to
support this? If so, how? If not, what form would this type of
modification take? What software needs to be modified? Who are the right
people to talk to? Lastly, is there anywhere more appropriate to post
these questions?

Thank you,

Laurie Reeves
Userful Development Team